14/08/2008

Gradually, light dawns

I am starting to feel as though I understand Seaside - at least a bit. And, if anyone is going to try to learn the system, this is what I would now recommend they do:
  1. Read the parts of the documentation dealing with creating basic HTML pages - I referenced then in a previous post. The explanations are quite clear, and, for me, helped to demystify the system.

  2. Read the tutorial A Walk on the Seaside. Although the HPI tutorial is much more comprehensive, I found this one much easier to understand.

  3. Go through the 'tests' section in the Seaside code. I.e., when you have the website running, navigate to the Tests section and go through each of the tests e.g. WAButtonTest. Make sure you use the Toggle Halos option and have a look at the code - typically the renderContentOn: method. This will really help you connect the code with what it does on screen.

  4. Remember to click the '?' in the Squeak browser. I only just stumbled across all the class comments. I don't know why I didn't do this before, but I think I was looking for the comments in the classes themselves. Perhaps that is how it worked in an earlier version? Anyway, the class comments help a lot

No comments: