06/08/2008

Learning Seaside is really quite confusing

I realised today - whilst rereading the Ajax section of the tutorial that part of the difficulty I was experiencing in learning Seaside was related to the fact that I was trying to understand what it was doing.

Seaside successfully hides all of the javascript required to do Ajax type operations. This means that you can write purely in Smalltalk, and yet deliver Ajax functionality. My problem was that I was trying to interpret the Smalltalk code in a javascript context. in other words, I was trying to work out how the Smalltalk would actually work in the browser. The answer is - it won't. All that happens is the Smalltalk code generates javascript.

On the one hand, understanding what is happening is a useful learning exercise. But, on the other hand, I don't try to understand the bytecode that Squeak generates, so why worry about the javascript? I think the difference is that I understand javascript and therefore naturally want to understand what is happening. I think I have to get over this!

No comments: