12/09/2008

New day, new problem ;-)

So, after having learned about the CVSParser, I am now becoming more interested in the various squeak repositories. I say, 'various', because there do seem to be a lot of them. And, I don't really understand how the various package management tools in Squeak work.

Monticello, as far as I can tell, is a version management system, and I suspect that I would use it to manage my own code, as well as pull down other people's. The Monticello browser allows me to access numerous repositories. However, there is also a Package Universe browser. This lets me download packages (which seem to be Monticello files) from various sources. It doesn't seem to offer any upload capability, and therefore seems to be a 'consumer' tool. The problem is that this leaves me with several unanswered questions.
  1. Which respositories is the package universe browser accessing?
  2. How is that list kept up to date, and can I/should I add new repositories to the list?
  3. Is this now the preferred way of getting code (a bit like app-get on Linux)?
  4. What about the squeakmap browser, that I stumbled across as well?
  5. Finally, is there any kind of quality control in the packages that package universe lists? I don't mean it in a formal sense, after all no one is really 'in charge' of squeak, but rather is there any kind of rating system, because it seems as though squeaksource and squeakmap contain more items than are listed in the package universe.
Answers must be found!

No comments: